People lie about just about anything.
Books are no exception.
A BBC survey of 2,000 Britons reveals the Top 20 Lied Abou Books.
Here is the Telegraph’s article.
HOW MANY HAVE YOU REALLY READ?
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
In a technical sense, yes, I lied about it since I only skimmed through my illustrated children’s book when I was little, watched the Disney cartoon-movie, the Disney movie, and just about every other movie they have ever made. I just couldn’t muster the excitement to read it on top of all that, but it is marked as READ in my readers experience anyways.
- 1984 – George Orwell
Never read it, but have had it on my TBR forever.
Will I ever get around to crack it open?
Maybe if someone challanges me to…
- The Lord of The Rings Trilogy – J.R.R. Tolkien
Shame on me, I never read The Lord of The Rings Trilogy! Seriously, I am ashamed.
At least I never lied about reading it.
I will rectify my erroneous ways.
- War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy
Believe it or not, I’ve read this once and loved it so much I read it again.
- Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
A favourite of mine!
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Arthur Conan Doyle
B**ch, I’ve read just about everything Sherlock Holmes related!
- To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee
Read this a few years ago. Read Go Set a Watchman too and really wish I hadn’t.
- David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
When I was a kid, my teacher pressed David Copperfield and Oliver Twist into my hands and sent me home thinking that would have kept me occupied for a month or two. A week later I brought them back and asked “please, miss, I want some more”.
Then she gave me all The Little Vampire books, which I loved also very much.
- Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky
Again, believe me or not, I read it front to back. Didn’t love it as much as War and Peace, though.
- Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
Another favourite of mine.
- Bleak House – Charles Dickens
Never ever read it.
Never ever lied about doing so.
- Harry Potter (series) – J.K. Rowling
Okay, I am really surprised this is on the list.
Seriously, people lie about having read Harry Potter? You kidding me?!
There are people who haven’t read Harry Potter and lie about it… If I hadn’t read the series I’d probably lie too, I would be so ashamed!
- Great Expectations – Charles Dicken
I have watched the movie with Helen Carter-Bonham, but I have never read the novel. It’s catching dust on top of my TBR pile, but I can’t bring myself to commit to it, not yet.
- The Diary of Anne Frank – Anne Frank
I had to write a book report about it and I am really glad that I’ve been forced to read it.
- Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
See David Copperfield.
- Fifty Shades Trilogy – E.L. James
Yeah, I read it. What to say, I was curious about all the fuss.
- And Then There Were None – Agatha Christie
I have yet to read it.
- The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Catch 22 – Joseph Heller
I will read it.
- The Catcher In The Rye – J.D. Salinger
I lied about it. I’ve never read it.
Don’t ask me why, I just did.